Monday, July 03, 2006

I could see the stars again

Yesterday was a extraordinary clear night, and the moon went down early. For the first time in I don't know how many years could see let's say at least more stars than airplanes. (Though that's a wee bit exaggerated, as I have to admit, but just a wee bit.)

Most people don't seem to care, but I still can remember how many stars I could see when I was a kid and in the mountains, and how stunningly beautiful it was. Of course still couldn't see that many now, but at least not only the very few biggest ones as usual, but also some nice range of sparkle inbetween (though of course only in the direction of the hills, and not of the city). Everytime I'm looking up in a cloudless night not seeing them, makes me kind of sad.

Tonight they're already gone again. Still think this world is a poorer place like that. Guess nobody wants to hear about microparticles and light pollution either, but that's what makes them disappear. Lately read most people growing up today never had a chance seeing the milky way. (The thing up in the sky, not the chocolate bar, I mean.) And if you don't know what you're missing, how should you?

No comments: